Working with animals on a spiritual level can be just as important as working with angels, guides and loved one. You may have heard many terms related to the ways animals can work with us spiritually such as “Spirit Animal” and “Power Animal”. A Spirit Animal is an animal who comes to you in order to show you through its own unique nature and skills how to deal with the manifestations of your Spiritual Journey. Think of your spirit animal as a guardian spirit or spirit guide. It can play the role of protector and provides guidance. It’s like a “personal guide or protector.” The Important thing to know about Spirit Animals is that you do not choose your Spirit Animal, and it chooses you! Another key point of Spirit Animals is they will appear only at the time and place in your life when you are ready to accept them and the wisdom they come to offer. I have found that, over the course of various times in life, a person can have multiple Spirit Animals based on what may be going on at that time and can change once a certain lesson may be learned. But, once a Spirit Animal presents itself to you, regardless if a particular part of your journey is over, you can always call on the animal’s energy whenever you need it. You can do this even if a new animal has presented itself or you haven’t worked with the animal in a long time. From what Spirit has told me, everyone has a constant Spirit Animal that they are born with, almost like a Guardian Angel. While other Spirit Animals may come and go, this Spirit Animal will always be by your side.
The other term you may be familiar with is a Power Animal. A Power Animal will often let us call upon it and harness its energy and powers to get us through a situations and particular moments. Unlike a Spirit Animal we can choose this animal. In addition, the spirit of the animal could unite with the person it “chose” in more personal ways and one will often find similarities in traits of personality, characteristics, and synchronicity between the two. As such, the power or essence of the animal can be felt or communicated. One of the cool things is you can actually merge with a Spirit/ Power Animal. If any of you have seen any of the Twilight movies, you know that Jacob is part of a tribe that can turn into wolves. That is a Spirit/ Power Animal for him! I often tell clients to imagine they are one with the animal. For example, let’s say you have a Spirit/ Power Animal that is a lion. You can literally ask the lion to merge with you. It would feel as if the animal was the outside shield protecting you while you were inside and safe from harsh energies.
Here is a great Meditation to help you find your Spirit Animal.
- Create a safe private space that you can relax in private free from interruption including all electronics.
- You will want to create sacred space. You can use holy water, crystals, prayer, or call in the guides, and angels you work with. You can also call in the 4 directions (east, south, west, & north) and Mother Earth and Father Sky. If you do not know how to do this, you can read about it here: http://thefourwinds.com/blog/shamanism/opening-sacred-space/
- You will want to relax by either sitting or lying down in a position which keeps your back straight. Use sounds of nature to help you be present in this meditation.
- Relax and breathe. Allow your body to release all tension, beginning at the top of your head or crown chakra. Then, as you continue to breathe, you will find that all negativity and stress have released out your feet and into the Earth.
- When you feel ready, invite your spirit animal to come forward. Don’t panic if an animal doesn’t immediately appear. Trust in your intuition and it will come. When it does, welcome them into your energy field. You will also want to thank it for the messages and insight it is going to provide you.
- You will want to create a dialogue with the animal. Start by asking it if it is your spirit animal. Once you confirm, ask it any questions you may have. You may want to ask its name, what its purpose in helping you is, you can ask about certain areas of your life that you may need assistance with and so on.
- Once you have received all the insight you desire, you will once again want to thank your spirit animal for showing up in your meditation.
- You will once again want to focus on your breathing, you will become more present as you return to your sacred space. Take some time to thank any other spirits, guides, angels etc. You will also want to thank the four direction.
- You may want to journal about your experience so you can go back and remember the insight that your spirit animal provided you.
Once you know your spirit animal or power animal is, you can work with it through any form of meditation, prayer, or by simply asking that it to join you for the day. I have even seen people incorporate their animal in their jewelry. You can always look for signs of the actual animal as well. This can serve as a reminder that they are with you. The more you work with these animals the deeper connection you will have and the stronger you will trust your own intuition. I love using the site http://www.whats-your-sign.com/ to look up the spiritual meaning of the animal that comes through. It is very detailed and you will learn why that animal is in your life. It is a privilege to work with any type of spirit animal or power animal energy. Consider it just as important as any other relationships you have. Your animal will be there for you and protect you. Stay open to receiving and it will always show up for you.
“I think of animals more as spirits that come and go. They enter our lives at a particular time and they leave at a particular time. The whole glorious history of animals with people is about joy and connection. It’s about loving this creature and letting this creature love you.” – Jon Katz
© 2017 Elysian Life Design. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without written permission from this site’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Elysian Life Design with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.